Saturday, October 30, 2010

Strategy Pattern: A First-Class Request

The best way to learn is quite possibly from those around you.

I was lucky enough to be in the volunteering-to-give-up-your-seat line just behind a more seasoned traveler on last week's redeye, when I overheard an interesting strategy.

Passenger "Sure, I'll take the 6:00 tomorrow. Is it a 57?"
Agent "Yes, it's a 57."
Passenger "Beautiful. Let's get me confirmed for First Class right now as well."
Agent "Done. Okay, you're all set sir."

An exciting discovery to say the least.

I was able to achieve the same result simply by asking. Complimentary upgrades are a part of the deal with flying often on United, but they go in order of miles flown. For the ever-curious, I'm generally 30th or so on the wait list to be upgraded on the Chicago-Los Angeles route.

Fun Fact "Is it a 57?" is asking if the plane is a Boeing 757.

Fun Stats 3 bumps in the previous four weeks.

  • 3 that resulted in better seats
  • 2 overnight, with hotel stays and meal
  • 1 for a plane that left 45 minutes later

No comments:

Post a Comment