For example, this is from the well-designed move-to-austin.com site about the nearby Round Rock:
The commute can be AWFUL. See if you can avoid driving to and from Austin on I-35 every day.
I dug a little deeper, which was easy with the estimated commute times map. The commute to Round Rock during rush hour is estimated between 45 and 75 minutes. If you're a suburbanite, this is clearly an awful commute. Here's some anecdotal data:
- My dad's commute was about 15 minutes (six miles)
- My mom's commute is about 15 minutes (six miles; different place)
- My girlfriend's dad's commute is about five minutes (two miles)
My story has been far different. Since heading to Chicago in late 2008, I have rarely seen a 15-minute commute to work.
- Chicago #1: 40 minutes L train (six miles)
- Chicago #2: 40 minutes express bus; 60 minutes regular bus (five miles)
- Little Rock: 20 minutes car (eight miles)
- San Francisco: 50 minutes muni; 25 minutes bicycle (four miles)
- Toronto: 50 minutes TTC; 35 minutes car (seven miles)
From these experiences, my idea of the perfect commute is 20 minutes by bicycle.
What's a good commute? What's an awful commute?