Friday, August 13, 2010

The Highly Anticipated Indian Switch Exposé



Today's piece is a fascinating exposé on the electrical switches of my Bangalore apartment. For days now I've been befuddled by more switches than I knew could exist in one place. There are nearly 417 in all, though I may have double-counted a few. Fortunately I've named them, and we'll head through them here in painstaking detail.


First up is the Middle of Nowhere. It's a singleton light switch, often found next to nothing or something non-obvious. For those of you who thought this was a western phenomenon, the proof is right here: this style of switch is global.

Middle of Nowhere


Next we have the Bedside Switch. It's part of the headboard and at least one of the switches appears to do nothing. The other starts a fan, which either features a brushed motor or turns on a nearby jet engine.
Bed Mystery Switch


We've also got the more familiar Wall Banks. This proves my button-mashing strategy is effective globally. Through my common ability to be persistent in flicking switches, I'm able to persevere in selecting the lighting combination I enjoy.
Wall Bank 1
Wall Bank 2


Finally we've got the most unique of the bunch, and it's quite a good idea. I'd love to see more of these in the States, especially with the green movement coming forth. They remind me of those "revolutionary" powerstrips with a switch for every outlet that have only been sold recently. I give you the Outlet Switch
Even the Outlets!

No comments:

Post a Comment